Monday, July 14, 2008

Choosing House Blue Prints

'I want a closet in my bedroom that I could fit a queen size bed into if I wanted. I want to feel like a serious celebrity when I walk into that closet and choose from my shoes, clothing or accessories. However, I want it to fit into a plan using only this much square footage for the house.'

This is what I sounded like before our home was built. I was very serious and confident with what I wanted, and no one was going to talk me out of it.

So, I was pretty surprised when the guy who would be working on my house blue prints looked at me like I had just licked the bottom of my own shoe. I had thought long and hard about what I wanted, and was ready for the house blue prints to be drawn so we could get this process moving.

We had established a budget, and within that budget, we had planned the square footage of our home. We weren't able to go above that budget, either. So, my dream of escaping into my celebrity closet with the full length mirror and the 'dressing room' sign on the door came crashing down around my ankles. This is why.

Although I had established my wants before getting the house blue prints, I hadn't really thought about my needs. If we would have gone with the closet size I wanted, including the other things we had to have, our bedroom would not have been large enough to accommodate our needs.

Still, I really wanted it, so I tried to convince my husband and the guy doing the house blue prints. I tried to compromise; however, they assured me that no contractor would build our bedroom around our bed.

My husband also refused to leave the same sheets on our bed for the rest of our lives, and hang our clothes in the kitchen pantry. We might have been able to squeeze our bed into the bedroom, but we would have had about an inch of room to walk around in.

When choosing house blue prints, the first thing you should consider is your family's needs. Most people build houses that they plan to live in for the rest of their lives, so you have to plan for an expanding family, accumulated personal items or furniture, and anything else you may gain through the years.

You don't want to have your home built and realize in a few years that you have outgrown it. My own needs wouldn't have been fulfilled had I went with the house blue prints the way I wanted them.

In fact, I found out that a lot of people end up unhappy with their homes because they chose to overlook their needs for something they wanted at the moment.

After quite a while, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears, our hour was up. What I got was a set of house blue prints that accommodated our needs, and most of our wants. I didn't think I would be, but I am very happy with the size of my closet.

My husband is happy that he didn't have to purchase a wardrobe to fill the closet I had originally wanted, and the man who handled our house blue prints is happy that I left him alive.

Amy G recently went through the process of building a home and shares what she discovered on her website House Blue Prints. Visit to learn all the tips, tricks and advice you need for choosing the perfect house plan for your home.

No comments: